This multi-ingredient interchangeable recipe come to us from Kara via her friend Gerri.
Greens to choose from:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 4 cups chopped spinach, packed
- 2 cups fresh cilantro packed …Kara says, “I like pumpkin seeds with this and Mexican queso fresca about 1/2 cup crumbled instead of the grated Italian cheese and I add a bit chili powder ”
- 3 cups chopped broccoli rabe hard stems removed blanch the rabes in boiling water for about 10 minutes and then plunge in ice water to stop the cooking process drain well removing any excess water …..to this one I add 1/2 cup skim milk ricotta
- 4 cups chopped Kale I like walnuts with the kale blanch the Kale in boiling water for about 8 minutes and then plunge in ice water to stop the cooking process drain well removing any excess water
and..for all greens proceed as follows unless otherwise noted!
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Special equipment needed: A blender or a food processor if you have one…..
1 Combine the greens of your choice in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a blender or food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
2 Slowly add olive oil in a constant stream while food processor is on. Stop to scrape down sides of processor with a rubber spatula. Add grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Good as a pasta sauce or a dip!