This week’s harvest will include a few veggies you may not know what to do with. We have some recipe suggestions! Please feel free to post your recipes in the comments section here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we may end up featuring them. Our aim is to offer easy, healthy, kid friendly recipes.
From CSA member Buffy Cardoza:
3 med turnips
1 TBSP e.v.o.o. (extra virgin olive oil)/canola oil
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to liking
1 tsp fresh thyme or parsley finely chopped (optional)
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425˙
2. Peel and slice turnips into french fry-sized pieces and put in large bowl. Toss with oil.
3. In large zip-lock bag, put spices and shake to mix.
4. Add turnip fries and shake vigorously.
5. Lightly grease baking sheet and spread the fries in a single layer, being careful not to over crowd. Bake 30 minutes, turning half way.
Raw Turnip Salad
1 lg Beet
1 lg Carrot
1 lg (or 2 small) Turnip
1 sm Granny smith apple
1-2 TBSP olive oil
Juice of a lemon
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and grate the beet, carrot and turnip and apple.
2. In a salad bowl, beat together the oil and lemon juice with some salt and pepper.
3. Add the veg/apple mix and toss well with a wooden spoon.
4. Top with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and serve at room temperature or cold.
Note: Can substitute the Lemon Parsley Dressing below.
Broccoli Rabe or Red Kale with Pasta
1 (8 ounce) package uncooked pasta
1 TBSP e.v.o.o.
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 c roughly chopped kale/broccoli rabe
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 TBSP fresh basil (or tsp dried)
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in red pepper, yellow pepper, kale/broccoli rabe and garlic. Season with basil, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Sautee until vegetables are tender. You can add a little liquid from pasta pot to veggies if needed.
3. In a large bowl, toss cooked pasta with skillet mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese and a squeeze of lemon to serve.
Can also serve this chilled and tossed with a little Lemon Parsley dressing!
Lemon Parsley Dressing
1/2 c E.V.O.O.
1/4 c fresh lemon juice
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 TBSP dijon mustard
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp agave or honey
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients well. Save in air-tight container for up to one week in refrigerator.